pi_over_2

2011-09-19 07:39 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

Hi!

Would it be possible to:

- Have the ability to set a custom background and foreground color
- Have a beep sound after each number when not using speech synthesis (all the flash anzan software I've seen out there have that, and I like it, but it can be an option)
- When in Subtraction mode, do not say/write the "+" for additions

Thanks!

pi_over_2

2011-09-20 21:43 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

Thanks for the new version.

I have put

[Sound]
annoying_sound=true

in the configuration file, but I still don't hear any beep after each number is displayed. I noticed that the file annoying_sound.mp3 is missing from the sound directory.

Another improvement suggestions

- The numbers' font doesn't scale proportionally with the size of the window. Even with a large window, the number still appear small.
- Display #1/10 (i.e. current/total) in the upper left, rather than just current).

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-09-21 00:11 UTC

gravatar for solsTiCe d'Hiver

about the missing file, I have updated a new version after seeing my mistake.

about the sound not heard. It's a Windows only bug, and I am quite puzzled to find/understand why. It works perfectly here on Linux.
Edit: new version uploaded at 00:40 AM GMT

pi_over_2

2011-09-21 00:37 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

If I copy bell.mp3 and rename it annoying_sound.mp3, then I hear the beeps.

So it seems to me the only problem is the missing file.

pi_over_2

2011-09-21 00:55 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

However, now I don't hear the sounds for success/failure when the set is finished (but I hear the sound after each number).

pi_over_2

2011-09-21 01:11 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

Ok, I now have upgraded to your latest version, and the missing sound file is now there, but the sound does not work (just like you said).

If, however, I replace annoying-sound.mp3 with bell.mp3 (i.e. copy bell.mp3 as annoying-sound.mp3), then I hear the sound.

So, it looks like it has something to do with that sound file (the sound is too short?).

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-09-21 01:14 UTC

Ok.
So it must be a problem of encoding of the file or something like that. I have already tried a new encoding but that changed nothing. I'll try by other means

Also I renamed the file annoying-sound.mp3. May be temporarily, because it will create confusion may be with the name of the option. one is _ and the other -.

About the final sound, it's me changing too much thing, almost at random.

All of this should be fixed soon.

pi_over_2

2011-09-21 02:04 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

Another suggestion:

Could you add the new options with default values in the *.ini file?

This will make it easier for a user to change the values.

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-09-22 11:05 UTC

pi_over_2

2011-09-23 14:09 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

Thank you.

The beep sounds between numbers now works, and the *.ini file has all the options.

Of course, it would be great to be able to change more of these settings directly via the GUI (such as background and foreground color, and also maybe font, etc.).

But the annoying sound really is annoying after all. What I had in mind was something like the Japanese anzan programs. You can see various anzan videos online, and the Japanese software all have that pleasing beeping sound between the numbers. The web page http://www.japanmatrix.com/anzan/ also has that pleasing beeping sound (I have to admit I use this web page often, but revert to your program to practice when closing my eyes [which is where the speech synthesis comes in handy]).

Also, if the font could resize as the window is resized (think web page with Ctrl+/Crtl-), that would be great.