Surefire2

2012-03-23 11:35 UTC

gravatar for Surefire2

Hello,
I wonder why the program is only limited to addition and subtraction calculations only. What about multiplication and division anzan? I'm sure there are learners who, like me, are progressing towards multiplying and dividing numbers. My suggestion is to add these final missing pieces so that the program is complete.
Thanks.

Surefire2

2012-03-23 12:02 UTC

gravatar for Surefire2

To continue with the above suggestion, I wish to add a few more details.
Division seems to be the hardest type of calculation (less than square roots, but those can be left for later) among soroban calculations. Perhaps we could have a choice of fully-divisible anzan calculations only (e.g. 9/3=3) for starters, and random numbers (which could result in decimal points and zero values, e.g. 9/7=1.2857 or 7/9=0.7778). As an extension to the random numbers option, may be a choice of how many digits after the decimal points could be nice (the default should be two).
To sum it up:
- A choice of fully-divisible calculations only, and
- A choice of how many digits are displayed after the decimal point,
are my suggestions.
Oh, what about negative numbers in subtraction calculations? Surely, can we really ignore it?

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2012-03-23 16:28 UTC

gravatar for solsTiCe d'Hiver

Hello,

Yes, why not.
It could make an extension of the program. It will need a little work.

About the negative number in subtraction, I don't see any interest in that. Are you going to subtract a negative number ? How ?
Basic arithmetic rule just tell us, it is just like adding the opposite number. So why bother ?

Surefire2

2012-03-24 11:54 UTC

gravatar for Surefire2

Hi again,

My only desire is to see the software completed and be, in a way, a tremendously useful practicing solution for those who take an interest in the soroban and lack the proper guidance from the natural classroom environment.

The inclusion of negative numbers calculations, which are found mostly in junior and high school mathematics, is also my thought on some articles found on the internet and how would be nice to give learners the option to practice these advanced techniques if they are inclined to do so. It's a small aspect of basic arithmetic, but an important one nevertheless.

For example, without the knowledge of calculating negative numbers, a learner will have to reverse the problem of 47-83-338 into her/his existing soroban operating sequence of 83+338-47 in order to solve it. Without saying it's labor-intensive and, with even longer strings of numbers, we can't be sure if the final results will be positive or negative.

Therefore, I do wish that in the next couple of updates, an option to practice negative numbers is offered.

For reference, I found this article by Torsten Reinck (viewed 24-Mar-2012) which deals with negative numbers:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~totton/sorob...
which is belonged to a much larger database of resources of:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~totton/sorob...

Thanks.

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2012-03-24 15:37 UTC

gravatar for solsTiCe d'Hiver

hi,

ah ok. I did not understand what you were talking about with the negative number.
It is just clearer with an exemple.

Yes. I'll look at that.
It is not hard at all to do that. It just means to remove a check and it's ok.

But the primary goal of the software was to use it for mental calculation.
I wonder if anyone will ever use it to practice negative number with anzan.

We are talking about "mental calculation" software, right ?

Surefire2

2012-03-25 09:51 UTC

gravatar for Surefire2

Yes, I'm talking about the Anzan software here. However, as the creator of the program, if you don't see much point in adding something to the software, I can't force you to do that.

Having said that, I do tend to calculate in the negative regions. My job requires me to calculate the amount of fresh meat to be supplied to the company, compared to what we have in stock and the current and expected orders from the customers. Therefore, constant readjustment is the norm with many different factors that must be taken into account. My wish is to use the soroban and especially anzan to make these calculations when a calculator is not available. Apart from me, I don't know if anyone would need to mentally calculate negative numbers (except school students perhaps).

Then again, it's your own discretion. I'm happy with the program as is.

Thanks.

lingmaaki

2016-10-24 06:17 UTC

gravatar for lingmaaki

Check this multiplication trick...

http://net-informations.com/q/mis/multip...

Ling