Srini Venkat

2011-03-27 03:08 UTC

gravatar for Srini Venkat

Hello - My son is learning Soroban/Anzan and I came across your site and tried to install the software on his winXP PC. After installing it, I am getting an error when I try to start the Mental Calculation software .. something like Application is configured incorrectly .. reinstalling the application will correct the problem. I tried reinstalling it with no luck. Can you please advise what I could be missing?

I installed eSpeak as well to see if the error will go away .. that did not help either. Whether I use the installer or zip version, I get the same error. The installer version wizard prompts were all in a foreign language (french?).

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-03-29 23:39 UTC

gravatar for solsTiCe d'Hiver

Could you post screenshot of the error you got ?
using an online image sharer like http://imgur.com for example (and posting the url here after)
I think that it could be a combination of configuration and software installed on your PC. Could you tell me what version of Windows XP (and service pack) and the locale settings you use (language, etc ...). But I don't understand your issue and need more details about it.

For the foreign language, are you talking about the espeak installer ? or about Mental Calculation ?
I have nothing to do with espeak and its installer, zip or exe.

pi_over_2

2011-04-03 17:28 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

Srini,

Some suggestions that might help:

1. Make sure you have all the Windows Updates installed, including optional updates.
2. Make sure you install as administrator.
3. Look in the Event Log to find the detailed error message.

I have installed the Mental Calculation and eSpeak on a couple Windows XP machines without any problems.

And yes, the installer for the Mental Calculation program is in French.

Good luck!

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-04-03 20:34 UTC

I never paid attention to the fact that the installer was in French.
This will be fixed in next release 0.3.4. The installer will be in english by default

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-09-06 16:39 UTC

@Srini Venkat

I am a little late to help, but if anyone else encouter that problem, here it is:

I have encoutered the same error; the exact message is:
"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this program "

It is always helpfull to get the exact error message. A simple google search shows that it is a general Windows message that is misleading. In fact, it is because there are missing VC++ dlls.

So I was able to fix the problem by installing the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)" found at Microsoft Download Center http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/con...

Of course, choose Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) if you use Windows XP x64 at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/det...

Also note, that you could get a slightly different error message with Vista or Seven but the trick is the same.