pi_over_2

2011-02-27 13:32 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

Here's an idea... what about a "hands-free" mode for the Anzan software?

The idea is that I could lie down in a comfortable position with eyes closed, and have the computer continuously dictate a bunch of problems.

The program would dictate the problem set, pause, then speak out the answer:

Example:

1. Computer speaks: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6
2. (pause)
3. Computer speaks answer: 18
4. (go back to step 1)

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-02-27 19:20 UTC

gravatar for solsTiCe d'Hiver

Excellent idea. I will implement it. It should not be that hard. but I can't give any scheduled release date.

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-02-28 21:07 UTC

here is a beta for 0.3.4. what do you think about it ?
I added a "No score" mode. but I need to find a better name for it.
Continious mode ? No end mode ? Infinity mode ?
any idea ? hands-free mode ?

http://www.sorobanexam.org/static/data/m...

pi_over_2

2011-03-02 01:34 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

"Continuous" or "Hands-free" are both fine, I think. Or maybe "Continuous (hands-free) mode".

Suggestions:

- Differentiate how the answer is spoken vs the actual numbers in the problem set, e.g. speak "Answer 55", not just "55". Also, it might be better (?) if the answer should always be spoken the standard way ("Answer fifty five", not "Answer five five"), even in "one digit at a time" mode.
- Don't use underline to indicate the answer on the screen. Use a different color (e.g. green), or write "ANS 55", use a box around it.
- Don't write "..." on the screen before showing the answer.

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-03-02 12:23 UTC

The bell sound is supposed to mark the end of a sequence. so it's supposed to be obvious that the next number is the solution. I can't add a word 'answer' to be said by espeak because it will never be localized or correctly said if a user use another language than english. Try to tell espeak to say 'answer 55' in spanish (sounds like ansouer cincuenta cinco) and you will get a surprise !

the '...' is not shown before but after a solution.
the '...' symbol is supposed to mark the beginning of a new sequence. It echoes the 3 bells sound. It is justified if you don't use espeak (i.e. no sound). It gives a visual clue for the start of a new sequence.

Let's go for green, but I am sure someone will not like the green I have picked up.

Shift shortcut does not work here to replay. So I have added a replay button, at last !

pi_over_2

2011-03-02 12:40 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

For the displayed answer, you could use "== 55 ==" (or some other visual marker), instead of green.

I just didn't like the underlines. I found the "..." crytic / unnecessary.

But these are minor details.

You have the best Soroban website / software on the whole internet. Thanks again!

pi_over_2

2011-03-03 02:33 UTC

gravatar for pi_over_2

I have been playing with 0.3.4 beta. There is a bug with speaking of answer in hands-free mode.

Set 1 digit, 5 problems, and 100 to 200 ms timings. Then the answer does NOT get spoken.

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-03-03 11:08 UTC

this will be fixed in the next beta 2, coming as soon as I fix my Windows 7 virtualbox image that I have broken, yesterday.

by the way, I changed the '...' to an icon/image now like http://i.imgur.com/5SCS5.png. You could always remove that file in the img folder if you don't want it to be displayed in the software.

Also the solution is displayed like "= 5" but not in green anymore. and spoken out as "equal five" (in english for example). I can't upload right because I have broken my windows 7 virtualbox image. I need it to build the setup.exe file.

follow us on twitter @sorobanexam
or use the RSS feed (it should show up in your browser bar); but only for the forum

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-03-05 20:58 UTC

I have uploaded a new beta. same link as before

solsTiCe d'Hiver

2011-03-06 14:34 UTC

and another one (with still the same name for the files) with a full screen mode