A software to practice anzan
Anzan is the mental calculation you perform while visualising a soroban in your head.
A little pyQt software
To help me practice, I have also made a little program in python and pyqt. It's called Mental Calculation (how original !)
You can choose how many numbers to add, how many digit each number have, the time between the display of each number (called timeout) and the time a number stays on screen (called flash).
You can also have each number said to you by eSpeak, a speech synthetizer. Espeak is a separate software that you have to download and install for this feature to work (and enable speech synthesis in the settings dialog too).
Replaying a sequence
You can replay any sequence for your convenience. Just press the 'Replay' button if you missed some number.
You can use it full screen, and/or in a continuous mode where you don't have to enter an answer and to interact with the keyboard. It goes on ad infinitum.
Note: Various options can be changed from the configuration file. See the README to find out how to change them.
- The first one demoing a standard practice of anzan
- The second one using the speech synthesis to practice the soroban
Try it yourself!
It's free (licensed under the GPL). The source code is available on github
You can download the latest version 0.3.5.6
- the Windows installer (11 MB; all dependencies included except espeak)
- the Windows Zip file (14 MB; all dependencies included except espeak) or the same thing in a 7z file (9.7 MB)
- the source code (329 KB) to run it on any Unix-like OS. It depends on python 2 and pyqt 4 and phonon (for the sound).
- You can download espeak software at http://espeak.sourceforge.net/.
If you're willing to translate this little program into your language, go to the forum where you'll find more details about this.
Practicing anzan with a sheet of paper
Go to the generator page and choose the anzan tab to get an XLS file with anzan exercises.
Practicing anzan in your browser New
You can now practice anzan in your browser (it being mobile or not) with the following dedicated page. There is a range of options to customize your anzan practice. You can choose the language used by the speech synthesis. And don't forget to go full screen on mobile for a better experience (the link is in the menu bar).